Tuesday 25 August 2015

Swerving stitches

The other day I was re-visiting an old Online Card Classes video from Clean and Simple Card Making and I saw a cute card from Julie Ebersole where she folded the coloured side of the cardstock on the inside of the card, and used a punch along the front edge, revealing the pop of colour inside.  I have never really done this, so I  had been thinking about how to translate this idea in to a design of my own.
I just received an order from Paper Smooches the other morning with the Stitched Dies, and I realised that this could be the perfect match.  Not to mention I could totally make this idea work with the sketch for current Paper Smooches SPARKS Challenge!

http://papersmoochessparks.blogspot.co.nz/http://papersmoochessparks.blogspot.co.nz/2015/08/august-23-29-designer-drafts-challenge.html

I've also been trying to use up some of my stash lately.  I have heaps of random paper!!  Patterned paper, glitter paper and colours of cardstock I barely use.  And it's taking over the world.  Well, maybe only my shelves.  But I just need to get it outta here, so I incorporated some of this paper into my card here...


I cut my notecard from Hero Arts Shallows layering paper, and scored and folded it with the colour on the inside.  I used the wavy die from Paper Smooches Stitched dies along the opening edge and then cut off the extra in line with the stitching.  I repeated the die on two panels of We R Memory Keepers Inked Rose 6x6 patterned paper and also one more top panel from Neenah Solar White, on which I also cut the straight stitch die down the straight edge.  I layered these up and adhered them to the notecard.
I stamped the sentiment from Paper Smooches Group Hugs clear stamp set in Hero Arts Butter Bar Shadow ink and die cut a few mini hearts with the Love & Cherish Die from Paper Smooches.  I added a coat of Glossy Accents to the hearts and allowed them to dry before adhering them around the sentiment.

You can see a bit of the soft aqua colour from inside the card peeking out.  It was a bit more difficult to photograph this card, showing the inside.  I couldn't really get good light in my regular spot so I needed to change things up a bit.  I set up a backdrop à la Laura Bassen, with a piece of 12x12 Amy Tangerine patterned paper and it worked out kind of cute.  And it's so versatile, I can move around the house to wherever I get the best light at any particular time of day.  Definitely will try this again.

That's all for now.  Thanks for checking out my card, and please feel free to leave me a comment!

6 comments:

  1. I love your take on the sketch. Beautiful card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Helen! It's fun to do something a bit unusual :)

      Delete
  3. Oh - this is just lovely! The wavy border is darling - and the sentiment couldn't be more perfect! Thanks so much for playing along with Paper Smooches SPARKS!

    housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
    www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete